Sunday, August 2, 2015

the power of family history



At the beginning of this year, I was called to be a Family History Consultant in my ward. This was a rare occasion, because they almost never give this calling to the youth. I was nervous and scared. Would I be able to help anyone? What if I'm a crappy teacher and they get agitated with me?

It felt like such a huge responsibility, and I didn't know if I was ready for it.

Thankfully, after taking a six-week introductory class and a few seminars on it, I felt more confident. I understood my calling better, and the importance of temple work. This calling and the blessings promised from it are never-ending.

And the cool thing?

You don't need to have the calling to reap the blessings. Doing Family History is so rewarding and powerful. I can't even begin to explain.

Here is a short video I found that sums up the many promised blessings of participating in family history, given by General Authorities.


Elder David A. Bednar promises this of our protection:

"As you respond in faith to this invitation, your hearts shall turn to the fathers. The promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be implanted in your hearts. Your patriarchal blessing, with its declaration of lineage, will link you to these fathers and be more meaningful to you. Your love and gratitude for your ancestors will increase. Your testimony of and conversion to the Savior will become deep and abiding. And I promise you will be protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary. As you participate in and love this holy work, you will be safeguarded in your youth and throughout your lives."

I know that these promises promised to us are true. I know that it is by doing family history that we hasten the work of salvation. I know that families can be together for all eternity, and I want nothing more than to help others find their ancestors so they can come together as an eternal family.


If you have an LDS FamilySearch account, you can actually get an Ancestry account for FREE!

If you'd like an introduction into family history, and some tips on becoming familiar with Ancestry.com or FamilySearch, send me an email! I would love to help you out :)


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so comment!

And if you have a blog, feel free to leave me a link to it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...